I love to bake. I like to cook. This is a journal of my kitchen triumphs, tragedies, and everything in between.

January 6, 2011

Christmas Cookies - 2010

Welcome to my new cooking blog! I thought I would start a new blog for my baking and cooking ramblings.  I figured not everyone that follows my blog (even though there aren't many followers any more) will be  interested in my fumbling around in the kitchen.  


I couldn't think of any better way to start this new blog than with my Christmas cookie post.  This year was a little different in that I made an executive decision to keep it a nut free cookie year.  With my little cookie monster I didn't want to worry about whether he got hold of a cookie with nuts.  Other than the few (hundred) complaints about there not being cherry winks on the tray from my brother it turned out alright.


After several weeks of planning and searching I found some cookies that I was excited to try.  From my nephews' perspective the carmel filled chocolate cookies were the favorites.  The cookie is called Rollo chocolate cookies, but my nephew J said that I should call them Galaxies.  So from now on Galaxies will  be in the Christmas cookie rotation.
Sugar cookies, Snickerdoodles, Molasses Cookies, Galaxies, Chocolate Crinkles, 
Chocolate Chip, Oreo Truffles in the center.
Galaxies
While reading some of my favorite food blogs one day I saw these butter cookies on Annie's Eats.  I couldn't wait to try and bake them.  The best compliment I received was when Bear came home from work and tried one of the cookies for the first time.  He commented that the cookie reminded him of the cookies that you get in those tins.  Woot!!  Woot!!!  That is exactly what I was striving for.  
Chocolate Pinwheels, Coconut, Butter Sable, Chocolate Sable, 
Chocolate Sandwich, Vanilla Butter, Pinwheel
This is how I packaged the cookies for friends and family.
I'll wrap up this first post with the galaxy cookie recipe.  The original recipe said to roll the dough balls in sugar before baking and to drizzle white candy coating over the cookie after they cool.  I didn't think they needed any of that extra sweet.  I think carmel is sweet enough already.  I have to be honest I didn't try any of the galaxy cookies.  I don't care for carmel at all.  Bear likes carmel and chocolate, that's how they made the cookie tray this year.

Galaxy Cookies

Ingredients
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons
pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
48 Rolo® Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate; unwrapped
Directions
In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.
In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
Preheat oven to 375°F. For each cookie, with lightly floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 caramel candy, covering completely. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375°F. for 7 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled.

4 comments:

Two Kayaks said...

Oh. My.

I'm going to LOVE this blog!!

Lisa~~ said...

They all look delish and I wish I had been on your friends and family gift list!!

~Kristen said...

Ohhh YUM!! I will enjoy this new blog, a lot!!

Catherine said...

Yumm, yumm, yumm!!!